A marketing campaign can increase ridership and promote community support.
This first section of the National RTAP online Marketing Toolkit leads the reader through a process of understanding and implementing effective marketing for public transit, from broad marketing principles to detailed strategies for specific situations.
Intended as a comprehensive overview, it includes a wide variety of useful strategies. These strategies are presented as marketing options from which to pick and choose according to your system’s needs and resources — you are not expected to do everything.
Guidance is provided about which strategies are most important and which are optional.
The How-To Guide is presented in four sections:
- Marketing Overview
- How Marketing Works in the Transit Environment
- Developing a Marketing Plan
- Strategies for Marketing Public Transit
- Fundamental Communications
- Building Awareness, Image, and Support
- Targeted Strategies for Generating Ridership